A must try - Leek and Yam Chowder Recipe! Fast, easy and perfect for a cool fall evening!
This is another fall family favorite in our home and it is something I would have never thought I would crave.
After going on Jude's field trip (more to come on that trip) we ended up with a ton of fresh produce on our counter tops. Yum! So I had to figure out what we were going to do with it all.
First up...use our leeks and SOME of the potatoes that we harvested at a local farm by making this great chowder!
Leek and Yam Chowder
Free Printable Recipe Link
1/4 stick of butter
2 cans of Italian Stewed Tomatoes
2 regular potatoes (Peeled and cubed)
1 large yam (peeled and cubed)
3 medium leeks (sliced and cleaned)
4 cups boiling water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
small carton heavy cream
Sweet Basil and salt and pepper
1. Melt 1/4 stick of butter in a large pot.
2. Add 3 medium leeks (sliced and cleaned). Stir and cook until tender.
3. Add 2 cans of Italian Stewed tomatoes, 1 large yam (peeled and cubed), 2 regular potatoes (peeled and cubed), pepper to taste to the large pot.
4. Dissolve 2 vegetable bouillon cubes in a 4 cups of very hot boiling water. Add to large pot. Stir.
5. Sprinkle generously with sweet basil.
6. Bring to a boil then turn to low, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add 1 small carton of heavy cream, stir and cook an additional 15 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy!