This time of the year is full of fun in our backyard, especially on the weekends. This past weekend was super busy with Jude's birthday party but we still found time to have our own little family Backyard Bash with great food, desserts and playing in the water. Our favorite part of our backyard is our deck. It is perfect for family meals in the sun after playing in the water. I decided that we would make our Sunday after the birthday party a great day with just us four.
The One of a Kind Dr Pepper was invited to our Backyard Bash! This delicious treat helped me create an unique lunch for my family that didn't take hours to do! Bonus!! Jeremy and I like soda - its my daily treat. Most of the time I drink a diet soda but sometimes when the heat is on what I really want is an ICE cold Dr Pepper. So when I started thinking about how I would dress our hot dogs for lunch I saw my Dr Pepper and came up with a plan!
Time for some honesty here - so we grill hot dogs A LOT! Yup, the kids love them and man they are easy to grill! Oh and I love them too BUT I am sick of the same old dog.
While the kiddos played with Jude's new sprinkler toy in the backyard I got to create a new family favorite. Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce for Hot Dogs. Yum! PS - don't you love action shots of kids having the time of their lives? Simple water and backyard hose fun. Be Still My Heart!
Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce Recipe
4 TBSP unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion - chopped
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 12 ounce can of Dr Pepper
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 TBSP Tomato paste
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1. In a medium sauce pan, add garlic powder, butter and chopped onion, heat over medium heat for about 10 minutes. The butter will melt and the onions should become translucent.
2. Once onions are cooked, add all of the other ingredients to your saucepan. Stir well.
3. Let sauce come to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, remove from heat. The sauce will begin to thicken up - cool for about 10 minutes before dressing the hot dogs.
5. Once cooled - spoon the sauce over the hot dogs. Enjoy!!
What a perfect outside meal. The kids even enjoyed this Dr Pepper BBQ sauce. Teagan dipped her hot dog in it and kept saying - YUM! Ha! Toddler approved I guess! I really liked the spicy and sweet taste to this BBQ sauce and can see us using this recipe for more than Hot Dogs. Next on our list - BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with this sauce!
After some more fun in the water we decided it was time to take a break in the sunshine and enjoy some dessert too. I have never tried using soda in my baking but I decided that we might as well have a big Dr Pepper Backyard Bash! Now this recipe will be a building block to getting super creative in the kitchen with soda. A must try!
Dr Pepper Cupcake Recipe
For the cake -
1 box of chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup of Dr Pepper
For the frosting -
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
3 TBSP Dr. Pepper
1 tsp Vanilla
3 tsp Maraschino cherry juice
Dash of Nutmeg
Dash of Lemon Juice
Dash of Ginger
Maraschino Cherries for Topping
1. Preheat oven to 350. Start with making your cake mix. Add the cake mix, melted butter, 3 eggs and 1 cup of Dr Pepper into a large mixing bowl. Mix well with spoon. Due to the carbonation of the soda you might need to slowly add the Dr Pepper while mixing. Once completely mixed put the cake mix into your cupcake tins.
2. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes. Once baked let cool completely.
3. While the cupcakes are cooling begin your frosting. In a medium mixing bowl add the butter and powdered sugar. Mix with hand beater slowly until mixture is frosting consistency.
4. Add Dr Pepper, vanilla, cherry juice, nutmeg, lemon juice and ginger to frosting. Beat again with hand mixer. Look for stiff peaks off of your mixer. If you want more of a pink frosting add a drop of red food coloring.
5. Ice Cupcakes as usual. Add a Maraschino Cherry on top! Perfect treat for any cupcake lover or Dr Pepper Fan!!
How to make a Dr Pepper Cupcake in a Can:
Too add a little flair to your Dr Pepper Cupcakes try using up-cycling the aluminum can and making holders for your cupcakes.
1. Simply cut the Dr Pepper can in half with sharp scissors (CAREFULLY!).
2. Once cut, you will use the bottom half of the can, carefully fold the cut edge so you do not have any sharp edges.
3. Next, cut out the Dr Pepper logo from the top of the can. Hot glue or tape the logo to the bottom part of the can.
4. Place an un-iced cupcake into the can. Ice the cupcake as usual. Top with garnish! Your cupcake is now an official Dr Pepper Cupcake!
What a fun afternoon we had as a family. Jude was happily enjoying sitting on the deck, wrapped in a towel, eating his lunch and he exclaimed "What a Day!" From the mouths of babes. Yes, WHAT A DAY! A day that I want to have more of with my family. Summer is the best with kids! Even Dad agrees when he is getting cold hose water dumped on his head! Oh the memories we are making!
To help you create your own Backyard Bash you can find all of these ingredients at Walmart. You can create the Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce and the Dr Pepper Cupcakes for your #BackyardBash. Enjoy!!
What is your favorite backyard activity?