With the cold rolling in I have been having some fun in the kitchen with some cold weather dishes. I love Lasagna but honestly, I hate taking the time to make homemade Lasagna so I decided to do a twist on a favorite dish and make it into a soup! Yes, Lasagna into a soup! It was a hit and way easier than making traditional lasagna!
Free Printable Recipe Here.
1/2 pound of Rotini Pasta
1 TBSP Olive Oil
16 ounces ground Italian Sausage
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp basil
4 cups chicken stock
28 oz canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 TBSP tomato paste
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. In dutch oven, heat oil on medium heat and brown the Italian Sausage.
3. Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, uncooked pasta, tomato paste, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. The pasta will cook as the soup simmers.
4. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the broiler on high.
6. Make the cheese topping by combining the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl.
7. Spoon the cheese topping onto the soup. Broil for 5 minutes.
8. Serve hot!!
This recipe pairs well with Garlic Bread and a nice fresh salad. Also, this would be a perfect freezer meal - simply store in a freezer safe container and heat up in the oven on low for later. Delicious and kid approved!