The pumpkin spice is calling my name but did you know that it isn't just pumpkin spice season, it is also National Rice Month! To commemorate this great celebration I partnered with Minute® Rice to share one of our family's very favorite fall soup recipe, sausage soup.
I made Jeremy's Sunday when he saw me making this soup. This recipe comes from his mom and every once in a while I will get this simmering on the stove for him. Not only does this recipe scream fall but it is a recipe that can feed us for a few days, love any recipe like that as we get back into the school routine this month. It really is a hearty soup that is perfect for fall - oh and super easy too.
Free Printable Recipe here.
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
1 TBSP oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, chopped
8 oz tomato sauce
15 oz kidney beans, drained
28 oz canned diced tomatoes
3 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 bay leaf
4 TBSP Minute® White Rice
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare all of the veggies and sausage as needed.
2. Brown sausage and onion in oil in a large pot.
3. Add cabbage, carrots, celery, tomato sauce, kidney beans, tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, bay leaf, rice, thyme and salt and pepper. Stir well.
4. Let soup come to a boil. Once boiling turn heat down to low-medium.
5. Simmer everything for 2-3 hours. Ready to serve! Enjoy!
This recipe is something that I know we will pass on to our kids. Like I said, it is Jeremy's favorite meal. In fact, he would request this meal as his birthday meal from his mom growing up - his birthday is in AUGUST!! Ha! Must be good if he wanted to eat it in 90 degree weather.
- Original precooked rice
- Rice is not processed, we just do the cooking for you
- Enriched, precooked long grain white rice
- Fluffy and delicious
- Ready in just five minutes
- Gluten, MSG and preservative free
- Cholesterol free
- Complex carbohydrate
- Non GMO
- Rice is grown in the US
- Offers recipe versatility as it can be part of any meal occasion throughout the day
What is your favorite fall soup recipe?