I have been talking about Game Day Grub a lot lately but let's be real; its that time of the year people!! Are you ready to host a great Game Day for your family and friends. Over the last year I have found a love for baking and cooking but sometimes I would rather find "semi-homemade" recipes so I can enjoy our company rather than my kitchen. I went shopping at my local Walmart and found some frozen packages of Alexia Crispy Onion Rings and Crinkle Cut Fries (the best kind!) and figured that these would make a perfect side dish for our guests.
Well the moment I got home my creative cook that hides in my head jump out! I couldn't just serve frozen rings and fries! I needed something else, something better, something that my guests would be talking about for days! Guess what - I scored the first touchdown with these little treats that pack a traditional favorite in a perfect onion ring tower! Delicious!
Oh yes friends, you are reading that right....
Green Bean Casserole Stuffed Onion Ring Towers
Free printable recipe here.
1 bag Alexia Frozen Crispy Onion Rings
1 can french cut green beans, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup french fried onions
1. Preheat oven as directed on the onion ring package.
2. In a small bowl combine the green beans and soup. Mix well.
3. Add french fried onions to the mixture - combine well.
4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and stack 3-4 rings (depending on size) on top of each other.
5. Fill the towers with the green bean casserole mixture.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes at temperature on onion ring bag.
7. Serve immediately and enjoy!!
To make these towers Football ready I found some cute football toothpicks that sit perfectly in the Green Bean Casserole. So cute and a total twist on Game Day Grub. I do not know many people that are not fans of Green Bean Casserole so I pretty much think this is a hit for any occasion but it was a huge surprise to our football watching guests.
Since I got creative with the Onion Rings I felt like I HAD to do something creative for those perfect crinkle cut fries. Nom!! I decided to bring a little family culture to our homegating experience and by culture I mean Mayo!!
Time for a little background. Jeremy's sister moved to Amsterdam close to 12 years ago, since then she has married a native Dutchman and had two adorable kiddos. Well, in Amsterdam there is a slight obsession with Mayo on Fries. You can pretty much find them anywhere when visiting - my mayo loving husband had this on his wishlist of things to do when we visited years ago. So we did it - we put TONS of mayonnaise on our fries and guess what? Fantastic!! To take these Alexia Crinkle Cut French Fries to the next level, I passed on the ketchup, ranch and mustard and went straight for the mayo BUT gave that Mayo a Spanish flair!
Saffron MayonnaiseFree printable recipe here.
2 TBSP water
1/2 tsp saffron threads
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1. In the smallest sauce pan you can find, bring the water and saffron to a boil. Believe me, the water will boil and it will not take long.
2. Once boiling, set aside for 10 minutes to let the saffron release color and flavor.
3. In a small mixing bowl combine mayo, lemon juice and garlic Whisk quickly to combine completely.
4. Gradually add saffron water and whisk together.
5. Use as a dipping sauce or pour over fries. Enjoy!
**make sure you store in refrigerator!
Sure this spread might not be your traditional Game Day feast but I guarantee your guests will not be complaining! Time to step outside the box and get creative with some semi-homemade Game Time Grub recipes.
You can find these yummy Alexia Onion Rings and Crinkle French Fries at Walmart along with all other products you need to make the delicious Game Time Grub Recipes.
When thinking outside the box what kind of treats and recipes have you come up with in your kitchen?