There is something about having some special one on one time with my boy. He has always been a mommies boy and I love that about him but in the last year or so I feel that with all the craziness of life I have not had much time with JUST Jude. I decided that this weekend we would have a full Mommy & Son Movie Night and enjoy the new release The Boxtrolls that is newly on DVD. Jude has been wanting to see this movie so bad so when I came home with this DVD in hand he lost his mind!!
I knew I wanted to make this evening a great one for Jude and me so instead of serving just the traditional popcorn I decided to make some sweet treats with our favorite Pop Secret Homestyle Popcorn. It was pretty telling of what I had planned when I walked out of Walmart with our new DVD and Pop Secret Popcorn - in fact, the woman checking me out said something about a movie night in! Now for the treat, I promise you will want to try these!
Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn Ball Pops
Free Printable Recipe Here.
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp baking soda
4 cups 4 mini marshmallows
13-14 cups popped popcorn (3 bags of Pop Secret Homestyle Popcorn)
1. Place the popped popcorn in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan on medium - high heat combine the sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, water, cream of tartar, and butter. Stir continuously and bring to a boil.
3. Boil for 4 minutes and then add the baking soda.
4. Remove sauce pan from heat.
5. Add marshmallows to mixture and stir until melted. Mixture should be smooth.
6. Pour mixture over the popped popcorn. Stir until all popcorn is covered in the mixture.
7. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
8. Spray fingers with cooking spray and start making small popcorn balls by molding them with your hands.
9. Place a popcorn ball into each cupcake liner. Stick a paper straw into the middle of each ball.
10. Sprinkle each popcorn ball with sprinkles if you decide to add these.
11. Let set for 20 minutes. Once set they are ready to eat and enjoy!!
Aren't they the cutest? And perfect size for a great movie snack with my boy. The best thing about this popcorn ball recipe is that you will not break your teeth eating them. With the marshmallows in the recipe this mixture stays soft even after a day. Yum!!
Our movie night turned out to be a sickie snuggle movie night too. Poor Jude has been diagnosed with some terrible virus called Adenovirus which has taken our hyper full energy boy to a snuggle bug. While I loved the extra snuggles I cannot wait for him to start feeling better.
Jude loved this movie and we are so happy that we own it on DVD so we can watch it again anytime we want. Might happen again tonight, poor guy!! Lots of movie time but that means even though he is not feeling well we have had a lot of quality time as a family. I have said it a couple of times recently about my 2015 goal of finding Balance. Having more quality and fun time with my kiddos is part of that balance. I look forward to more movie nights with Jude and I know that Teagan will love to join too.
If you have not seen The Boxtrolls I highly recommend it. Even for Jude who is 4 he was able to really pick up on the story-line and loved the animation. There are a lot of great teachable moments that Jude has been talking about after watching this movie too. I especially love that he was picking up on the message that Family doesn't have to be relatives. His explanation makes my heart happy, "Family is anyone who cares about you or shows you love." Yes, exactly Jude!!
What is your favorite thing to do for One-On-One time with your kiddos?