Meal planning is so important, especially on busy weeknights. I felt like I was running low on kid approved dinner ideas one evening and decided to get a little creative with some items I had in our pantry and refrigerator. My family loves all things Mexican food. So I got out my pie dish and started layering a great baked recipe that can be made skinny as well! It ended up being fantastic and we have had it a couple times since just because the kids loved it so much!
Baked Layered Taco Pie
Free printable recipe here.
1 pound ground beef or turkey, we use turkey for a skinny version
1 packet taco seasoning
6 flour tortillas
jar of salsa
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease glass pie pan. Honestly, you can use any casserole dish.
2. Brown ground turkey and taco seasoning in a skillet. Follow directions on the taco seasoning packet and cook until completely cooked through. Drain fat from skillet.
3. In pie pan put a layer of cooked meat on the bottom of the pan.
4. Top meat with 2 flour tortillas, covering meat completely.
5. Top tortillas with a layer of meat, salsa and cheddar cheese. I guesstimate on these, make a nice layer of each ingredient.
6. Repeat above step two more times.
7. Top pie with 1 cup shredded jack cheese.
8. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is nicely browned. Serve while hot!
9. Can be served with lettuce, sour cream and tomatoes if desired. Enjoy!
This literally takes 20 minutes to prepare and can be easily made days ahead of time and then heated in the oven for 10 minutes at 450 degrees if already baked ahead of time. My kids really love this and I love that I can make a one dish meal in less than 30 minutes that is healthy!
What is your favorite One Dish Meal?