There is something about grilling out, especially hot dogs, that makes if feel like summertime. While I am not one to serve my family all organic food I am still food conscious when it comes to feeding my family every day. Finding a hot dog you can trust is a lot easier than I ever thought. Honestly, I cringed every time my kids asked for hot dogs, you know, those rumors and food talks can really scare a person. Hebrew National Beef Franks are premium cuts of beef that not only taste amazing but are truly what they say on the package! Premium!
Awww, this picture screams summer to me. Well, I hope I am not alone when I say that my taste buds can only handle one night of grilled hot dogs per week - we need some spice in our life! Don't get me wrong - the fries and dog are a great way to enjoy the backyard and grill with the kids but I needed to find a way to include some sort of veggies and other flavors into our hot dog world and that is when I decided to create a kid friendly mom approved casserole with our favorite Hebrew National Franks!
Mac & Cheese Dog Casserole
Free printable recipe here.
*The combination of franks and these ingredients may not be Kosher*
16 ounces elbow macaroni pasta - cooked and drained
6 Hebrew National Beef Franks - sliced
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
3 cups of milk
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 TBSP onion powder
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare large casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Prepare elbow macaroni as directed on the package.
3. Slice Hebrew National Beef Hot Dogs into bite size pieces.
4. Add the freshly prepared macaroni to the casserole dish and top with the hot dogs, frozen vegetables and 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well.
5. In a medium sauce pan or skillet melt the butter until completely liquid. Whisk in flour, pepper, salt and onion powder in the butter mixture quickly. No clumps!! Remove from heat.
6. Slowly add the milk to the butter mixture. Whisk quickly to ensure no clumps.
7. Return to heat and bring to a boil - continue to whisk to help mixture from burning.
8. Once boiling, remove from heat and pour over pasta mixture in casserole dish.
9. Stir casserole slowly to completely combine all of the ingredients.
10. Top casserole with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until cheese is nice and browned on top of casserole.
11. Serve once cooked completely and enjoy!
This casserole is one of those sneaky casseroles - hey parents I am talking to you! Sneak in those veggies and trick the kiddos with that cheese dog goodness. When I sat this meal down in front of the kids they were amazed, seriously. Hey, these one dish meals amaze me too kids! We dug in and man that homemade mac and cheese paired with the all beef franks make for a comfort meal filled with summer favorites.
With this new casserole added to our meal plan this summer the kids can still have their weekly hot dog fix! After creating this meal, I am brainstorming ways to include hot dogs into some of our other family favorite casseroles. This really is a great way to sneak in veggies and give the kids something they love eat. Best of all, I know that I have found a hot dog I can trust.
"What makes a Hebrew National kosher hot dog premium? It's all about what makes the cut (and what doesn't). We're choosy about what goes into our franks – we use only premium cuts of 100% kosher beef from the front half of the cow and then choose the best from that. No artificial flavors, colors, fillers or by-products. When your hot dog is Kosher, that's a hot dog you can trust! For more summer fun with Hebrew National, visit us on Facebook."
Currently, you can save up to $2 on Hebrew National products at Kroger and Kroger banner stores this summer! Time to get that grill hot and enjoy some all beef hot dogs!
What is your favorite way to enjoy a Hebrew National Beef Frank? Share your recipe ideas below!