Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Target.
Our summer days are melting away from us - it went far too fast! Soon we will be focusing on pumpkin patches, fall colors, and football, but before we do that I wanted to have a little fun in the backyard and at the grill with the family. We pretty much grill our meals whenever we can. It is easy and delicious but we do get sick of the same old recipes. The kids love barbecue grilled chicken, so I put a sweet twist on a recipe that screamed summer.
This meal was perfect, and I picked up all of my ingredients at Target. Market Pantry brand has so many options that I always find my food essentials on my shopping list. This was the first time I had made my own fruit marinade, and I have to say it was actually really easy and so full of flavor.
Apricot Barbecue Chicken
Free Printable Recipe Here.
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp molasses
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp dried ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Place dried apricots in a bowl. Cover apricots with water and let soak for at least 1 hour. I found that about 90 minutes was best.
2. Once apricots are rehydrated, drain water from bowl and create an apricot puree/paste using a food processor or blender.
3. In medium-sized pot, combine all of the ingredients: ketchup, vinegar, molasses, apricot paste, water, ground mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well.
4. Bring ingredients to a boil, and then lower mixture to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Let marinade cool. Place chicken in a reusable plastic bag and pour cooled marinade over the chicken.
6. Seal bag and let chicken marinate for at least 1 hour before serving. I always let my chicken marinate overnight for better flavor.
7. Grill chicken until completely cooked through - about 8 minutes on each side.
8. Serve over brown rice and enjoy!
We spent the evening out on our deck enjoying this delicious summer meal on the eve of Jude's first day of school. It was a perfect end to the summer break. Perfect weather, fun memories, and a tasty meal!