The Colorado Ballet Presents - The Nutcracker |Building Our Story Yum

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Colorado Ballet Presents - The Nutcracker

Disclosure:  We were provided with free tickets to view the performance in exchange for our honest review.  All opinions are my own.

Making new memories and creating new Christmas traditions is one of the best parts of being a parent during the holiday season.  Teagan has quickly shown us that she is one adorable tiny dancer and honestly, we think we will be a dance family for awhile because she is really excelling at it.  When I had the opportunity to take my tiny dancer to see The Nutcracker at the Colorado Ballet I was so excited to tell her.

The Colorado Ballet Presents - The Nutcracker, The Nutcracker Ballet Denver, The Colorado Ballet, The Colorado Ballet Nutcracker, The Nutcracker in Colorado, The Nutcracker in Denver

When I broke the exciting news to Teagan I had already picked our her Christmas dress for the season so I showed her what pretty dress she could wear to the performance.  That was enough for her!  Going into this experience she really didn't know what the story of The Nutcracker really was but once I told her she would see ballerinas dancing on their toes she was telling the whole world where she was going to go.

We both got all dressed up and headed out to the Ellie Caulkins Opera House for a Mommy/Daughter date.  As I was driving us to the performance I was thinking how perfect this date would be every year to prepare for the Christmas season with my little lady.  Tradition started - memories made!

Performance Information for 2015:

November 28 - December 27 2015
Ellie Caulkins Opera House
Live Music By the Colorado Ballet Orchestra

There are a number of days and times to enjoy this performance with your family and friends.

Saturday, December 5, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Sunday, December 6, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Sunday, December 6, 2015 - 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 7:30 p.m.
Friday, December 11, 2015 - 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 7:30 p.m.
Friday, December 18, 2015 - 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 6:30 p.m
Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 6:30 p.m.
Monday, December 21, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 1 p.m.
Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 1 p.m.

Once we got to our seats Teagan was so ready to see those "rinas" and their toe dancing. The Ellie Caulkins Opera House is a perfect venue for the ballet because of the great seating all over the venue.  No bad seat in the house!  We were blessed with some amazing seats that gave Teagan the perfect view of the show.

One tip for small children - pick up a booster seat when walking into the theater.  This will help them get an even better view of the show without having them on your lap the whole performance.

If you are anything like me you are always the one behind the camera.  When we walked into the opera house there was a great photo opportunity that we took advantage of.  Abby Watkins the owner of Abby Watkins Photography has a perfectly decorated space to take professional pictures of your Nutcracker experience.  We totally took her up on the offer because like I said, I am always the one behind the camera.  This was a perfect way to get a nice picture of Teagan and I before the show started.  Adorable!

Abby is available at The Nutcracker performances for your convenience.  The process was unbelievably easy and the pictures turned out perfect.  Make sure you visit her and let her help you make those memories!

More information about Abby Watkins Photography:

About Abby:

My name is Abby Watkins, and I am a portrait photographer based in Denver, Colorado.
I am one of the fortunate people with a career that allows me to spend time with wonderful people. I get to cuddle darling newborns, play peek-a-boo with shy three year olds, capture the joy of a new family, and the contented smile of a grandmother getting her entire family all in one place at one time. I have had the privilege of capturing a grooms first look at his beautiful bride, and watching the excitement of children all dressed up for their first trip to the Colorado Ballet's performance of the Nutcracker. I have helped new business owners show their customers what they have to offer, and captured bands performing for their adoring fans. I am grateful for my wonderful clients who allow me to share these moments with them.
I love the reality of everyday life, and the beauty of the in between moments. I work to capture those moments in every photo I take. I have been a wife to an amazing man for 10 years, and I'm a mother to 3 fantastic kids (or minions as I call them).

Abby Watkins Website for More Info.
Abby Watkins Facebook Page
Abby Watkins Twitter Page

Anxiously waiting for the show!  I loved my special time with Teagan.  Hard to believe she is already 3 years old!  It really does go way too fast!

Performers Dana Benton and Sean Omandam photo by Mike Watson

The show was unbelievable.  It has been about 5 years sense I had seen The Nutcracker so for me it was a great refresher on why this performance is so breath taking.  The dancing, the music and the costumes are perfection.  The Colorado Ballet put on a show that I know Teagan and I will remember for ever.

Performer Asuka Sasaki Photo by Mike Watson

Teagan was so impressed with how the "rinas" could jump so high and spin without getting dizzy and falling over.  HA!  Her commentary was pretty priceless while we were watching - sorry for those around us!  I cannot wait to see how Teagan evolves as a dancer in the coming years.  Seeing her excitement at the performance makes me think she has found her "thing" at an early age.

Performers Maria Mosina and Alexei Tyukov  Photo  by Mike Watson

This was her favorite scene.  The tutu has been added to her Christmas list - not sure how we are going to pull that off!  Even with a 3 year old this was a perfect event to attend to get into the holiday spirit.  Sure, she got a bit antsy towards the end and just wanted to dance in the isle but with the less than 2 hour show time plus an intermission I would recommend The Nutcracker performance for ages 2 and up.

I call this a success!  Teagan got to pick out her own Nutcracker souvenir and within 2 minutes of getting into the car she was out and cuddling with her new friend.  Adorable.  She has enjoyed showing everyone how the "rinas" dance on their toes and has told us that she loved seeing The Nutcracker.  2015 marks a new tradition for this little girl and me.  We are already looking forward to next years performance.

Story of The Nutcracker:

Children and adults will enjoy Colorado Ballet’s 55th annual production of The Nutcracker, featuring fantastic characters, brilliant dancing, exquisite sets, dazzling costumes, classic choreography and Tchaikovsky’s extraordinary arrangement performed live by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra. This enchanting production brings the timeless story to life and transports audiences to lands of wintertime magic and delicious sweets. Whether it is your first time or 55th, you and your entire family will adore Colorado’s most spectacular holiday tradition.

Keep up with The Colorado Ballet:

Colorado Ballet Website
Colorado Ballet Facebook
Colorado Ballet Instagram
Colorado Ballet Twitter

Is The Nutcracker ballet a Christmas tradition in your family?

photo signature_zps997af43a.png

17 comments:

1. I love seeing the Nutcracker. It is such a lovely story!

ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Nutcracker! It's great that this theatre offers booster seats for the kids so they can enjoy the show too.

ReplyDelete
  3. The Nutcracker is an awesome holiday tradition. Looks like it was a great performance too!

ReplyDelete
  4. Aw what a great event for the family! I would love to make the Nutracker a tradition.

ReplyDelete
  5. My niece always performs in the Nutcracker here locally.So much fun to go as a family!

ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, what a fun time for you guys. I'm glad you guys were able to get great seats. That nutcracker picture of you two is adorable!!

ReplyDelete
  7. It isn't a current tradition but I'm hoping to make The Nutcracker Ballet a tradition with my daughter. She loves dancing and the theaters so I think this would be an incredible experience for her!

ReplyDelete
  8. You both look like you really had a fun filled day. I can't wait until The Nutcracker Ballet comes to my city.

ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up with the Nutcracker and want to take my daughter. It is a wonderful show and it looks like you had a very special evening! I love the pics, especially the one of the two of you and her sleeping. So precious!!!
    :-)
    Traci

ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to see mother and daughter traditions like this - you are a special mom!

ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! Lucky you to have gone. I think that traditions like this is the most important thing about memories and life!

ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat tradition this is. I've always wanted to see The Nutcracker!

ReplyDelete
  13. This is by far my most favorite Christmas tradition. My mom would take me every year, just me and her, and now I take my step-daughter! The Nutcracker is amazing!

ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to go see it too. It sounds great to me!

Replies
    1. And I forgot to say you ladies looked amazing!

15. I cannot hardly wait for Sunday now! EEK!

ReplyDelete
  16. This is a gorgeous place, and I won't soon forget it. Attended an event here sponsored by the company. The reception hour at venues San Francisco was held in one of the rooms next to the hall. I loved their buttery mashed sweet potato.

Get Widget