We are ready for some football...even if our home team was not! As we have talked about before, we love celebrating sports in our family but especially the Big Game. As we enter this time of the year it is always fun to get an early start on the menu plan for the big day. This year I want to focus on food for adults and food for the kids. Keeping it separate and hopefully creating even happier tummies. Honestly, the kid friendly food is a lot easier for me to think of because HI I am a mom. So, as I sat down and tried to think of a great appetizer for the adults I struggled with making something just for the big kids.
Firecracker Turkey Meatballs
Free printable recipe here.
But, after I started looking at our cabinets and I saw some of our favorite hot sauce, El Yucateco®, I came up with a healthier, fire filled twist for the adults to enjoy. Homegating is one of the best things about Football Sunday in my opinion! Friends, food and football all in my comfy yogo pants and sweatshirt! ha!
El Yucateco® is giving entrants the chance to win one-of-a-kind tailgating and homegating packages and MORE!
For the Turkey Meatballs:
2 pounds ground turkey - thawed
4 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp onion powder
For the Firecracker Sauce:
1 cup light brown sugar
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees and prepare a large baking sheet with cooking spray or parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan, combine El Yucateco® Red Habanero Hot Sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and salt over medium heat.
3. Sauce needs to come to a boil - once boiling, reduce heat and let sauce simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to let sauce thicken while you make the turkey meatballs.
4. In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, garlic, salt, pepper, eggs, panko breadcrumbs and onion powder.
5. Using your hands, mix all ingredients together completely.
6. Shape the meatballs with an ice cream scoop and place meatballs on the prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake at 475 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until the meatballs are completely cooked through.
8. Using a fork, dip each cooked meatball into the thickened firecracker sauce. Make sure to completely cover each meatball with the sauce.
9. Place sauced meatballs back on baking sheets and return to the oven for another 3 minutes.
10. Serve Firecracker Turkey Meatballs with additional firecracker sauce if desired. Enjoy meatballs as an appetizer.
There is something perfect about a good meatball appetizer on Game Day that makes the spread even better. This Firecracker sauce is the perfect addition to our favorite Turkey Meatball recipe. I remember the first time I mastered this Turkey Meatball recipe, I was so happy because the whole family enjoyed them. This year for the Big Game we will be able to provide the perfect kid friendly meatballs but also let the adults in on our little firecracker sauce secret. Yummy!
We always have the Red Chile Habanero on hand for great flavor additions to our traditional dishes. It is made with fresh red habanero peppers, tomato, and select spices and seasonings. The red habanero sauce is the perfect "all purpose" sauce. It packs a little more kick then the average hot sauce but with far less vinegar, so you get the true flavor of the pepper when you add this sauce to any dish. The red habanero sauce is a great fit for everything from a Bloody Mary to Shrimp Cocktail or Wings - but especially Firecracker Turkey Meatballs!
What Football Sunday appetizer would you create using the El Yucateco® sauces?