Finding a career after college was difficult for me. I got my degree in psychology in 2005. I had all intentions of continuing my education and possibly becoming a social worker or therapist but here we are 12 years later and I am neither of those things.
Instead, I am in a career that is normally saturated with men - the world of Information Technology as well as being a blogger, a mom of two amazing kiddos and a wife to a pretty cool dude. Finding balance has always been something that I have needed to find with my family and professional life.
In the last year my role at my current agency has changed a lot. Not only am I still apart of the IT department but I am now the manager of our database as well as a manager of our business support team. What a year it has been. Through my years of writing on this blog I have always been super honest with you all. And that is going to continue right now. This move/promotion was a shock; sure I have put in my years here at this agency but being in a position that is usually a male led department I always felt a little under qualified. Let me go back in time a bit. When I first started attending my IT/Database meet-ups, training, and conferences I was shocked at the amount of women that were NOT in the room with me. While we do not want to admit it, this is sad. Why are we so particular when it comes to careers and genders?
The folks at Brawny get it. Women have been viewed as helpless, small, not smart enough, etc. for years. Something is happening, the marketing departments of companies know the true stories of women. Stories of women who's stories speak nothing of the stereotypes we were once put into. I am proud to be one of those women, by entering a world of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
For the first time ever, the Brawny brand is introducing a new design for its packaging featuring a woman in place of the iconic Brawny Man. These limited-edition packages will be available in Walmart stores during Women's History Month. How cool and STRONG is this?? This design was made for The Strength Has No Gender™ campaign that is highlighting inspirational stories of everyday women in cities across America. These women have been breaking down barriers in traditionally male-dominated industries and empowering others to continue to do the same.
So, while I may lead a very crazy busy schedule I know I am strong and smart enough to be the person that all of my "people" need me to be. While I may feel like superwoman at work after I complete a project, the moment I walk into my house and the chore list is long and daunting I want to run to my room and hide under the covers but with the super cleaning power of Brawny paper towels I am able to find a way to balance it all.
With the years of crazy I have found the perfect way to really tidy up our house in 30 minutes using Brawny paper towels. I make sure to do these steps before we have unexpected visitors and also when the house just needs a nice cleaning. It isn't an overwhelming to do list and it really can be done in just 30 minutes!
Clean Your House in 30 Minutes
1. Quick clean-up of common areas like the living room/family room and kitchen table. To do this quickly, I use a laundry basket or storage basket to collect items needed to be put away in other areas of the house. (10 minutes)
2. Wipe down kitchen counter tops, stove, sink and tables using Brawny® Paper towels. Make sure you move all dirty dishes to the dishwasher. (10 minutes)
3. Wipe down bathroom counter tops and mirror with Brawny® Paper towels. Make sure toilet is clean as well. (5 minutes)
4. Empty all garbage cans and take trash outside. (5 minutes)
5. One last thing...light a candle for some nice ambiance.
About Brawny Paper Towels:
- We always pick up Brawny paper towels when stocking up on household items. Brawny® Paper towels offer more sheets on every roll verses leading national brand comparable roll and sheet size. This is a necessity when you have the amount of daily messes like us! It never fails, every meal there is at least one milk spill! KIDS!!!
- Brawny paper towels help us clean up whatever life throws on our tables, stoves, counters, floors, windows and faces!
- Limited-edition packaging comes in a Brawny® Pick-a-Size 8 Giant Plus package.
- Pick up this exclusive to Walmart, limited-edition Strength Has No Gender™ pack to celebrate International Women's Day on March 8th!
As a mother of a little girl, I cannot wait to share these inspiring stories with her when she is a little older. I love being able to tell her that when she grows up she can become whatever she wants to be. Every day we must empower women of all ages to be inspired to break through those traditional barriers. Success comes with confidence - I am so happy I have found that confidence.
Please share your inspirational stories of everyday women who have broke down barriers in traditionally male-dominated industries!